By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sporting TribuneSporting TribuneSporting Tribune
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
Reading: World Cup: Congo team faces 21-day isolation rule amid Ebola scare
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Sporting TribuneSporting Tribune
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Uncategorized

World Cup: Congo team faces 21-day isolation rule amid Ebola scare

Femi Akinyemi
Femi Akinyemi
May 23, 2026
Share
Congo team
SHARE

Congo’s national team must undergo a 21-day isolation period or risk being denied entry into the United States for the World Cup as the country battles an Ebola outbreak.

This was disclosed by the executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, Andrew Giuliani, on Friday.

Giuliani said the United States has informed FIFA, the Congolese national team, and the Congolese government that the team must maintain a controlled bubble in Belgium, where they are currently training and scheduled to play two warm-up matches.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th,” he said.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble, or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

Giuliani said the US is prioritising health and safety around the tournament.

“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” he said.

All Congo players and head coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the country, with most of the squad playing in France.

Some team staff based in Congo have already left the country this week.

“If there are other people that are going to be coming in, they need to have a separate bubble from that team. If they end up coming, and any of those people end up symptomatic, they are risking the entire team being able to come and compete in this World Cup,” Giuliani said.

Giuliani added that the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has personnel in Europe monitoring two American doctors who are in quarantine after exposure to Ebola, with discussions ongoing about deploying staff to Belgium to “check in on the team.”

Last week, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare strain of Ebola known as Bundibugyo, which has killed more than 130 people and caused nearly 600 suspected cases.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. The CDC said this week that the United States would ban the entry of all foreign nationals who had been in Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan within the previous three weeks. The restriction is set to last 30 days.

On Wednesday, Congo cancelled a three-day World Cup preparation camp and a planned farewell event for fans in Kinshasa.

The team is scheduled to play warm-up matches against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and Chile in southern Spain on June 9.

The Leopards have been drawn in Group K. They will face Portugal in Houston on June 17, Colombia in Guadalajara on June 23, and Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 27.

(ESPN)

Mustafa Kapi: Galatasaray’s 14-year-old sensation last night made his senior debut against Levski Sofia
Pogba not close to Gerrard’s level yet ―Benitez
De Gea to start at Huddersfield ―Solskjaer
Messi picks Brazil, France as World Cup favourites
Why Nigerian Breweries supported Abuja golf tourney
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Arne Slot ‘40% set-piece goals’ behind Arsenal’s EPL title win – Slot
Next Article Zimbabwe Unity Cup: Zimbabwe star sends warning ahead of Super Eagles clash
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

about us

Sporting Tribune delivers insightful analysis, expert commentary, and exclusive features from the world of sports. Dive deeper into the game..

© 2026 African Newspapers of Nigeria Plc. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?