John Terry has been linked with a shock return to Villa as boss Steve Bruce searches for a solution to his team’s defensive woes.
Reports have claimed Bruce is trying to persuade owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens to sanction a deal for the former skipper, in an attempt to fix a backline which has conceded 11 goals in just six Championship games.
Chelsea legend Terry enjoyed an impressive season at Villa last year but left after they failed to win promotion.
Sawiris and Edens, who solved the club’s cash crisis when they acquired a 55 per cent stake in July, initially vetoed a return for the 37-year-old, as they set a remit for signing younger players.
But having missed out on deals for Le Harve’s Harold Moukoudi and Aberdeen’s Scott McKenna, Bruce wants them to reconsider.
Midfielder Mile Jedinak has replaced Terry in the heart of Villa’s defence but so far failed to convince, particularly during last Saturday’s 4-1 drubbing at Sheffield United.
The defeat ramped up the pressure on Bruce, who later admitted his defence must rediscover the steel which made them among the division’s most stubborn units last term.
“Defensively we have to be better and find a steel. It took us a while to get there (last season),” he said.
“We had an awful afternoon at Cardiff. You have awful ones, it’s how you respond.
“We’re hugely disappointed in what we’ve served up. It’s bordered on embarrassing.”
Villa are not back in action until they go to Blackburn on Saturday week. Manchester United loanee Axel Tuanzebe, who has played the last five league games at right-back, has promised a response.
“It’s vital we put it right and we are certainly determined to put it right,” he said.
“You can expect much better from us in the next game – we will be ready for the next block of matches. We will prepare mentally and physically to put it right.
“I believe we have the talent to succeed but I also think we have the togetherness.”