The Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. The FIA, Formula 1’s governing body, has accepted a request from Chinese organisers to postpone the Shanghai race, due to take place on April 19.
In a statement, it added all parties would take the “appropriate amount of time” to discuss potential new dates.
The decision has been made to “ensure the health and safety” of drivers, staff and fans.
“The Chinese Grand Prix has long been an important part of the F1 calendar with many passionate fans,” the statement continued.
“The FIA F1 community looks forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wishes everyone in the country the best during this difficult time.”
ALSO READ: Serena must face reality -Trainer
F1 managing director Ross Brawn has previously said there would be efforts to reschedule the race if it could not be held on its original date.
“We will leave open the opportunity to see if the race can run later in the year,” he said.
“China is an enthusiastic, growing market so we’d like to have a race in China.”
The last time a race was postponed was 2011, when the Bahrain Grand Prix was affected by the Arab Spring uprisings.
The initial intention then was to run the race later in the year but the teams objected and in the end the race was cancelled.