March 20, 2023

Oyo SWAN suggests 60% privatisation of 3SC

October 1, 2017
3SC part ways with Ebiaku, Adebogun, Abu, jimoh, Olabisi, Sodiq
Anthony Okpotu (right) struggles for ball possession with Moses James of Shooting Stars Sports Club during their NPFL clash.

SPORTS journalists in Oyo State under the aegis of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Oyo State chapter have suggested a 60 per cent privatisation of Shooting Stars Sports Club of Ibadan, while the Oyo State government takes charge of the remaining 40 per cent.
This suggestion was made on behalf of Oyo SWAN by the chairman of the association, Adeniyi Alebiosu, when he appeared before the Oyo State House of Assembly Committee on Youth and Sport as one of the stakeholders invited by the committee following the relegation of 3SC to the lower cadre of the Nigerian football league in the just-concluded Nigeria Professional Football League season.
Oyo SWAN noted with dismay that 3SC, which is seen as the pride of Nigerian football and one of the leading and famous football clubs on the continent of Africa since the current democratic dispensation in the country had been relegated from the top flight of Nigerian football league four times (1999, 2006, 2013 and 2017).
The association posited that as a matter of urgency, the factors that have been a thorn in the flesh of the club which is responsible for its dwindling fortunes should be address immediately without wasting time.
It was however, suggested that the club should be privatised with government holding on 40 per cent while 60 per cent should be given to interested members of the public to run.
“If the government refused to privatise the club, more money should be allocated to the club to enable it recruit quality players who can make the team compete favourably with its counterparts”.
Oyo SWAN, further hinted that the internal crisis rocking the club should be critically looked into and resolve amicably. Oyo State government was also advised to look into the role of the supporters club and ensure it is totally redefined. It noted that the supporters club is factionalised stressing that this is unhealthy for the growth of the club.
In order to attract sponsors to the club, Oyo SWAN suggested that the government must ensure that there is transparency in the running of the club as this remains a major way to attract sponsors. While undue interference from ex-players and former club administrators should be put to a halt.


%d bloggers like this: