By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sporting TribuneSporting TribuneSporting Tribune
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
Reading: French Open stars to suspend media protest over prize money dispute
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Sporting TribuneSporting Tribune
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Tennis

French Open stars to suspend media protest over prize money dispute

Femi Akinyemi
Femi Akinyemi
May 23, 2026
Share
French Open
SHARE

The world’s leading players are expected to fulfil all their usual media commitments when the French Open begins at Roland Garros on Sunday.

Many of the top 10 players limited their appearance to 15 minutes during Friday’s pre-tournament media day.

The 15-minute limit was meant to symbolise the 15% of revenue which, on average, the Grand Slams allocate to prize money.

Player representatives have told BBC Sport they never intended a tournament-long protest, and were encouraged by a promise of future co-operation at Friday’s meeting with the French Tennis Federation (FFT).

Earlier in the week, the FFT said in a statement that it “regretted” the players’ decision and was “ready to engage in direct and constructive dialogue on governance issues”.

ALSO READ: French Open stars plan media protest over prize money dispute

Players are asking for a higher share of Grand Slam revenue to be dedicated to prize money, as well as contributions to their benefit pot and a wider say in issues such as scheduling.

Player representatives have meetings planned with executives from both the All England Club (AELTC) and the US Tennis Association in the second week of the French Open.

The next pivotal moment of the dispute will be when the AELTC announces the prize money for this year’s Wimbledon on 11 June.

Players are asking each Grand Slam to devote 16% of their revenue to prize money this year. After taking last year’s revenue of £427m, and adjusting for inflation, that demand would equate to over £70m at Wimbledon – or a 34% rise on the £53.5m prize money offered in 2025.

Players are also asking each Slam to make a $4m (£2.98m) contribution to their benefit pool this year, and further action is a possibility when Wimbledon begins on 28 June.

French Open: Swiatek beats Coco Gauff in Paris final
US Open: Pegula fights back to set up final against Sabalenka
‘I feel at home here’, Indian table tennis star hails Lagos fans
Serena withdraws from French Open
Sabalenka beats Gauff to complete ‘Sunshine Double’
TAGGED:French Openprize money
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Celtic Iheanacho scores as Celtic clinch Scottish Cup title
Next Article Hull City Semi Ajayi helps Hull secure Premier League return
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

about us

Sporting Tribune delivers insightful analysis, expert commentary, and exclusive features from the world of sports. Dive deeper into the game..

© 2026 African Newspapers of Nigeria Plc. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?