Reigning WBC champion, Tyson Fury, has revealed he would have been sued a whopping $80million had he avoided a trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder in search of an undisputed showdown against Anthony Joshua.
The Gypsy King had been in negotiations to fight Joshua this summer, in what would have been one of, if not the biggest British fights in history. However, those plans were derailed when an American arbitrator ruled the Brit must take on Wilder for a third time.
Fury, who will complete his trilogy with Wilder in Las Vegas on October 9.
“The talk was that me and Joshua were going to fight,” Fury said on ‘The Overlap YouTube channel’.
“Then all of a sudden, Deontay Wilder’s put in an arbitration against me from a top judge and all the best lawyers in America, so I can’t do anything about that.
“Fair is fair. I’m a fair man myself and if the shoe was on the other foot I’d want my third fight.
“It wasn’t really my fault or Wilder’s fault why the rematch never happened. The world got turned on its head and it didn’t happen because of COVID-19.
“All of a sudden, we’re in court and he won the case. The judge said, “look, fair is fair, give the lad his rematch”, and that’s it. There’s not much I can do about that.”