By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sporting TribuneSporting TribuneSporting Tribune
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
Reading: AFCON dispute: CAF’s Motsepe urges investigation into corruption claims
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Sporting TribuneSporting Tribune
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Football

AFCON dispute: CAF’s Motsepe urges investigation into corruption claims

Femi Akinyemi
Femi Akinyemi
April 9, 2026
Share
Patrice Motsepe
SHARE

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) president, Patrice Motsepe, says he would “encourage” an investigation into corruption at the organisation.

Senegal’s government last month demanded such scrutiny after the national side was stripped of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title by a Confederation of African Football (CAF) appeals board, with the trophy awarded to final opponents Morocco.

The West Africans are waiting on the outcome of an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Motsepe visited Senegal on Wednesday, meeting President Bassirou Diomaye Faye and leading officials from the country’s football federation.

“I welcome any investigation [into corruption at CAF], whether it is by a government or an authority or anybody,” Motsepe said at a news conference in Dakar.

“Because any corruption in CAF, we want to know about it and we will take action ourselves, immediately.

“We have a duty to our people in Africa. If any government or institution (wants to), please go ahead and conduct the investigation.

“We will give you all the co-operation. In fact, I encourage you.”

The CAF appeals board ruled Senegal forfeited the AFCON final in Rabat on 18 January after several members of the side walked off the pitch in protest at a penalty awarded to Morocco in second-half stoppage time.

The Teranga Lions eventually returned and, after a delay of around 17 minutes, the resulting spot-kick taken by Brahim Diaz was saved and Senegal won 1-0 after extra time.

The decision by the CAF appeals board on 17 March has left African football’s governing body facing a crisis of confidence, with Veron Mosengo-Omba stepping down as the organisation’s general secretary on 29 March.

Motsepe says he has “zero tolerance” of corruption in any walk of life, describing it as “worse than Covid and cancer”.

“Whilst I am president of CAF, we will never conceal any corruption,” he added.

“It is the biggest problem, not just in football. I have been told there have been lots of problems in the past [with corruption], and we intervened.

“We can’t set a bad example in football, to give our children the perception that if you want to succeed in life, be corrupt.

“That’s the best gift we can give football in Africa. Not just talking about corruption, but intervene, put the necessary laws [in place] and implement them.”

Senegal’s initial victory over Morocco was their second Afcon title after winning the trophy in 2021

Motsepe would not be drawn on the matter between Senegal and Morocco, which is now before CAS, and reiterated his previously stated position that he and CAF will respect the court’s verdict when it arrives.

“There is nothing I can tell you that I haven’t said already 10, 15, 20 times,” Motsepe told BBC Afrique.

“You can ask me the same question 100 times, and I’ll give you the same answer 100 times.

“That is the duty and obligation the president of CAF has. He has to wait until the decision of CAS, which is the highest decision-making body in football in the world.

“We have to implement that decision.”

Meanwhile, the South African told reporters that the imprisonment of 18 Senegal fans in Morocco following disturbances at the Afcon final was an issue that was being discussed “at a diplomatic level”.

On leaving Dakar, Motsepe travelled immediately to Morocco, where he will meet football federation chief Fouzi Lekjaa and government officials on Thursday before holding another news conference.

FA cup victory: Gov Abdulrazaq gifts Kwara United players cash, land
2025 AFCON qualifier: Super Eagles to play Rwanda November 18
AFCON: 100% Focus Nigeria boss, Mohammed, roots for Super Eagles against South Africa
CAF names Senegalese officials for Eagles, Benin clash
‘Enyimba ultra-modern stadium ready for commissioning Sept’
TAGGED:AFCONCAFPatrice Motsepe
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Fury, Chisora and Wilder ‘Sad to watch’, Fury reacts to Wilder, Chisora clash
Next Article Andy Robertson Andy Robertson confirms Liverpool exit after nine years
about us

Sporting Tribune delivers insightful analysis, expert commentary, and exclusive features from the world of sports. Dive deeper into the game..

© 2026 African Newspapers of Nigeria Plc. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?