Pep Guardiola has said he plans to take a break from management after confirming he will leave Manchester City at the end of the season.
The City boss announced on Friday that Sunday’s final Premier League match against Aston Villa will mark the end of his 10-year spell at the Etihad Stadium.
55-year-old Guardiola, who has been linked with future national team roles, said he will not return to coaching immediately.
“Now rest,” Guardiola told a news conference on Friday.
“No plans to train for a while. Otherwise, I will be here. And I need to step back, I will not train for a while.”
Guardiola admitted the decision was influenced by a drop in energy levels, similar to the reasons given by Jurgen Klopp when he left Liverpool in 2024.
ALSO READ: EPL: Guardiola opens up on ‘one regret’ as City era ends
“Absolutely,” he said when asked if he felt the same.
“I feel I will not have the energy that is required every three days to fight for titles, being in front of the players.
“I know, myself, I have that energy, but I feel I will not have that. It’s been 10 years.
“The biggest decisions happen not because I don’t have that ambition or I don’t want to try it again but it’s the perfect moment and time.”
He added that the timing of his departure followed reflection during the closing stages of the season.
“It’s not about when [the decision was made],” he said.
“It’s not today or tomorrow, it’s a time that you feel OK let’s do it.
“It’s not yesterday or one week ago. It’s a little bit, but of course, we are in competition, and I need the players to be with me and me with them.
“The moment we cannot fight for anything else, that is the moment to say I want to say a proper goodbye to my people on Sunday.”
Guardiola had earlier confirmed his decision to Manchester City players before addressing the media, bringing an end to a decade of dominance at the club.
