By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sporting TribuneSporting TribuneSporting Tribune
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
Reading: French Open director rejects prize money demand
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Sporting TribuneSporting Tribune
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Football
  • Foreign Leagues
  • Local Leagues
  • Nigerian Sports
  • Transfers
  • Off-Pitch
  • Other Sports
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Tennis

French Open director rejects prize money demand

Sporting Tribune
Sporting Tribune
May 21, 2026
Share
French Open
SHARE

By Dauda Musbau

Amelie Mauresmo, the director of the French Open, said the tournament’s organisers are not going to budge and increase prize money for the 2026 event despite a dispute with players.

A group of tennis stars will limit their media duties in the build-up to the clay-court grand slam due to perceived low prize money.

Players have claimed they are currently only paid 15% of the current revenue from the majors, asking for 22% instead.

ALSO READ: French Open stars plan media protest over prize money dispute

“We are not going to budge,” Mauresmo told reporters at the tournament draw in Paris, adding she was a “little saddened” by the situation.

“We have prize money that has… doubled in 10 years and has also increased significantly recently.”

Jannik Sinner, the top-ranked men’s player, earlier this month called for the Slam events to show “respect” to players.

Women’s world number one Aryna Sabalenka also said at the Italian Open that players might have to boycott the sport’s four biggest tournaments – the Australian, French and US Opens and Wimbledon – to “defend our rights”.

A meeting between the French Open organisers and “some of the players’ representatives” is to be held on Friday.

“We don’t usually take what comes from the players lightly,” Mauresmo added.

“I am confident about the discussions that will take place and those that have already taken place.”

Raducanu suffers defeat on return after two months out
Australian Open: Sabalenka beats Badosa to reach final
French Open prize money rises by 9.5%
Alcaraz ends Sinner’s streak to win Italian Open
‘I gave it my all’, Japan’s Nishikori announces retirement
TAGGED:Amelie MauresmoFrench Openprize money
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven Verhoeven ‘not a normal man’ ahead of Usyk title fight — Hearn
Next Article Europa league UEFA unveils Europa League team of the season
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

about us

Sporting Tribune delivers insightful analysis, expert commentary, and exclusive features from the world of sports. Dive deeper into the game..

© 2026 African Newspapers of Nigeria Plc. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?